Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Commission Junction - just a little rant.

I've been searching the "World Wide Web" well your top 1-10 google entries on Commission Junction tonight.

  1. If you live out-side the US .. yes you will be auto-denied on alot of US based affiliate programs. Yes this sucks.. but it's up to the US based company and what they decided as requirements for the program. This is only Commission Junctions fault only becuase they added that feature to the affiliate approval profile.
  2. If you live out-side the US... find programs offered by companies in your country.. if they are still accepting affiliates they will approve you.

Why am I writing this. Well today I got two emails from programs I was a member of. A couple of online companies are merging and they have decided to move to Linkshare. Between CJ and Linkshare, I actually preffer the management utilities at CJ over Linkshare. The Linkshare interface is a little shotty! But trust me.. I've seen worse.

This is my biggest beef with CJ. I was trying to figure out why after sending a few hundred clicks from a campaign, not a single lead was posted. So I tested it, and posted a lead my self to see if it went trough. It didn't. No harm no fowl!

My computer is clean of spyware, and I had cleaned out my cookies before the test.. so I'm not getting hyjacked.. or even lo-jacked!! [SMILES].

I sent CJ a message and also the affiliate manager.

CJ responded with a message that my account was posting clicks and that all is fine..

The affiliate manager has yet to respond.

I know that in the world of affiliate marketing, skimming is common, i'm sure that companies skim low commission earners to boost profit margins. Or maybe my leads have just vanished.

I bet it was during a yet to be reported outage.

Overall.. it's only one campaign so I've just moved on to another. I just needed to bitch about the trust affilate marketers have in the companies we make money for. Yes we want to be paid. We stay up late nights. Work evenings and weekends and take chances with our own money promoting.

I'm sure every affiliate has sat back bewildered at a lead campaign, may it be filling out a credit card application that you sent 500 clicks or a mortgage refi that you sent 500 clicks to.. or something as simple as a resume submission, and never saw a single commission on a lead. Maybe it's true no one was a lead.. just something that makes you go huh! But we keep on going, cause you do find those companies that have set everything up right, treat the affiliates with respect, and track everything with honesty.

Well to make an actual point in this rant. You must try many different ideas,companies and target the audience that is a lead or sale potential. Doing this makes conversions higher. Work on every angle. If something doesn't work then try something new. If you want to make money on the internet, you'll have a loss column on the books.. it's called an expense! Something you'll use during tax season.

You have to trust CJ and the others. Maybe it's just a flook.. but I'll report it if it happens again here.

I'd love to know if this is something others have experienced. Let me know. Comments are always welcome.

BruisedThumb but I have another.

No comments: